Post-Hurricane Relief & Assistance
October 30, 2012 - In the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, much of the transportation infrastructure in the mid-Atlantic coastal areas has been disabled, if not completely shut down. With many AFA members in the path of the storm, particularly our members in the New York-New Jersey area, we know that they will need support and assistance as they recover and rebuild their lives. If you are experiencing storm-related difficulty, contact your local AFA leaders directly. As always, AFA EAP is a resource for you locally, or call the toll-free line to reach AFA EAP International at 1-800-424-2406.
At the time of this update, nearly 13,000 flights have been canceled due to the storm. Some northeastern airports are slowly returning to operation while several New York-area airports remain closed. Additional flights have been canceled for Tuesday and Wednesday.
For current information on airport status, visit the Federal Aviation Administration Flight Delay Information Ė Air Traffic Control System Command Center.
Airport Status/Flight Delay Information>>
AFA Members in New Jersey and New York Eligibility for the AFA Disaster Relief Fund
The AFA Disaster Assistance fund is available to members in the states of New Jersey and New York, in these counties: New York: Bronx, Kings, Nassau, New York, Richmond, Suffolk, and Queens counties. New Jersey: Atlantic, Cape May, Essex, Hudson, Middlesex, Monmouth, Ocean, and Union counties. As officials continue to conduct assessments of Sandyís damage in their states, they may request assistance for their residents. The AFA Disaster Relief Fund will expand eligibility for members in other states and counties should presidential declarations support the need for such assistance. To request assistance from the fund, complete the application available at www.afacwa.org. Additional information about the fund can be obtained from AFA EAP at 1-800-424-2406.
Disaster Recovery Resources
If you are an AFA member needing assistance through the fund, please access this webpage for information about how to access assistance.
AFA Disaster Relief Assistance >
Our afacwa.org website has a Disaster Recovery Resources page that may provide additional guidance for assistance available:
Disaster Recovery Resources >
Through FEMA, individuals in New Jersey and New York in the above counties are eligible for the below resources. To apply for these benefits go to www.DisasterAssistance.gov
- Rental payments for temporary housing for those whose homes are unlivable.
- Grants for home repairs and replacement of essential household items not covered by insurance to make damaged dwellings safe, sanitary and functional.
- Grants to replace personal property and help meet medical, dental, funeral, transportation and other serious disaster-related needs not covered by insurance or other federal, state and charitable aid programs.
- Unemployment payments up to 26 weeks for workers who temporarily lost jobs because of the disaster and who do not qualify for state benefits, such as self-employed individuals. (Source: FEMA funded; state administered.)
- Low-interest loans to cover residential losses not fully compensated by insurance.
- Other relief programs: Crisis counseling for those traumatized by the disaster; income tax assistance for filing casualty losses; advisory assistance for legal, veterans benefits and social security matters.
AFA Disaster Relief Fund
We know that disasters can change lives forever. While we canít stop destructive events from happening, we can, as a Union, assist our members with their recovery. AFA established the disaster relief fund after September 11th to assist our members whose lives were placed in harmís way.
The AFA Disaster Relief Fund is a 501 (c)(3) charitable organization that is separate from AFAís operating funds. This fund provides a means for AFA members to assist other members who have suffered damage, loss and relocation as a result of disaster. The fund is open for distribution once a presidential declaration for individual assistance is declared.
Concerned members have already made contributions to the AFA-CWA Disaster Relief Fund. We appreciate this incredible generosity from within our union and encourage all members who are able to make donations to the fund. 100% of the funds go to members in need.
Information on how to donate to the fund by credit card or check can be found at www.afacwa.org. Or, use this direct link to access the donation page:
AFA Disaster Relief Donation Page >